This week, Doha welcomes the Apparatus World Cup series, the 4th of 8th qualifying World Cups for Tokyo 2020. The Belgian gymnasts qualified for 3 finals with impressive results!
3 gymnasts represented Team Belgium in this World Cup: Dennis Goossens competed on still rings and Jonathan Vrolix on floor, pommel horse and high bar. Nina Derwael competed on uneven bars and balance beam.
In her first competition of the year, Nina Derwael did not disappoint. She topped the uneven bars standings with 15.033 and will be the gymnast to beat for the gold on Friday.
Jonathan Vrolix showed impressive work on floor. He opened with a double twist forward immediately followed by a double tuck forward and showed great form overall. He received the highest execution score in an impressive field. He placed 3rd and qualifies for his first World Cup final. Jonathan also competed on pommel horse, where he scored 12.866 (32th).
Dennis Goossens competed on still rings. He was not at the top of his game and finished 16th with a score of 13.966.
On thursday, Nina was the first to go on beam. She did an excellent job and set the bar for the other competitors with a score of 13.566. No one was able to beat that score during the qualifications.
Jonathan also competed also on high bar. He finished 25th with 12.100.
Nina and Jonathan will compete on Friday at 2pm (Belgian time). On Saturday Nina will compete at 2pm in the beam final.
MAG Qualification results:
1. Carlos Edriel Yulo (PHI) 14.600
2. Xiao Ruoteng (CHN) 14.533
3. Jonathan Vrolix (BEL) 14.500
1. Lee Chih Kai (TPE) 15.166
2. Harutyun Merdinyan (ARM) 14.966
3. Kohei Kameyama (JPN) 14.916
32. Jonathan Vrolix (BEL) 12.866
1. Lan Xingyu (CHN) 15.166
2. Vahagn Davtyan (ARM) 14.908
3. Artur Tovmasyan (ARM) 14.866
16. Dennis Goossens (BEL) 13.966
1. Tin Srbic (CRO) 14.333
2. Milad Karimi (KAZ) 14.300
3. Alexey Rostov (RUS) 14.133
25. Jonathan Vrolix (BEL) 12.100
WAG Qualifications results
1. Nina Derwael (BEL ) 15.033
2. Fan Yilin (CHN) 14.900
3. Anastasiia Iliankova (RUS) 14.633
1. Nina Derwael (BEL) 13.566
2. Marine Boyer (FRA) 13.366
3. Li Qi (CHN) 13.300