The Doha Aspire Dome is currently hosting its annual World Cup event. Qualifications happened on Wednesday and Thursday, while the finals are set for Friday and Saturday. Team Belgium did not disappoint in Doha: they qualified for 7 finals!
|Credit: Doha Artistic Gymnastics-Qatar|
6 gymnasts represented Team Belgium in this World Cup: Dennis Goossens competed on still rings, Takumi Onoshima on floor, pommel horse, parallel bars en high bar and Noah Kuavita on parallel bars and high bar. On the girls' side, Nina Derwael competed on uneven bars and beam, Rune Hermans on all events but vault and Axelle Klinckaert on floor.
Wednesday Takumi Onoshima opened the competition on pommel horse. He did well and placed 13th in a field packed with champions. Dennis Goossens was next up on his favourite event: the still rings. He qualified for the final on Friday with a score of 14.533 (6th). Takumi also placed 31st on floor where he had some troubles to control his landings.
Rune Hermans was really stable and clean on uneven bars and qualified with the 6th score for the final on Friday. She scored 13.133. Nina Derwael once again raised the bar. She topped the field with a stunning 15.233 and is the gymnast to beat for the uneven bars gold.
On thursday Nina and Rune competed on beam first. Nina did an excellent job and finished 3rd with 13.500 while Rune couldn't avoid some wobble and ended in 13th place. Takumi and Noah Kuavita were next up on high bar. They both did well: Noah finished 7th and qualified for the final (13.566) and Takumi placed 15th. Rune and Axelle Klinckaert showed good floor routines and finished second (13.500) and eight (13.133). They both qualified for the final. Takumi and Noah closed the qualification round on parallel bars. Takumi took the 15th place with 13.166 and Noah finished 28th.
Dennis, Nina and Rune will compete on Friday at 2pm (Belgian time). On Saturday, it will be Nina, Rune, Axelle and Noah's turn.
MAG Qualification results:
1. Takumi Sato (JPN) 14.866
2. Dmitrii Lankin (RUS) 14.433
3. Chih Kai Lee (TPE) 14.233
31. Takumi Onoshima (BEL) 12.466
1. Chih Kai Lee (TPE) 15.200
2. Zou Jingyuan (CHN) 15.066
3. Rhys McClenaghan (IRE) 14.700
13. Takumi Onoshima (BEL) 13.566
1. Igor Radivilov (UKR) 15.066
2. Zou Jingyuan (CHN) 14.866
3. Andrei Vasile Muntean (ROU) 14.766
6. Dennis Goossens (BEL) 14.533
1. Zou Jingyuan (CHN) 16.266
2. Xiao Ruoteng (CHN) 15.133
3. Andrei Vasile Muntean (ROU) 14.533
15. Takumi Onoshima (BEL) 13.166
28. Noah Kuavita (BEL) 12.266
1. Xiao Ruoteng (CHN) 14.833
2. Edgar Boulet (FRA) 14.533
3. Deng Shudi (CHN) 14.500
7. Noah Kuavita (BEL) 13.566
15. Takumi Onoshima (BEL) 12.600
WAG Qualifications results
1. Nina Derwael (BEL ) 15.233
2. Melanie De Jesus Dos Santos (FRA) 14.266
3. Uliana Perebinosova (RUS) 14.200
6. Rune Hermans (BEL) 13.133
1. Melanie De Jesus Dos Santos (FRA) 13.733
2. Marine Boyer (FRA) 13.666
3. Nina Derwael (BEL) 13.500
13. Rune Hermans (BEL) 12.466
1. Taeja James (GBR) 13.533
2. Rune Hermans (BEL) 13.500
3. Elisa Meneghini (ITA) 13.466
8. Axelle Klinckaert (BEL) 13.133