Nina Derwael won the gold medal on balance beam during the final day of the European Games in Minsk. She also finished 4th on uneven bars.
Nina first competed in the bars final. She unfortunately fell on her third release skill : the Derwael-Fenton. The last couple of years we got used to see Nina deliver medal winning routines but we must not forget how incredibly difficult this routine actually is. She scored 13.933 and finished 4th.
Angelina Melnikova won the gold (14.466), Becky Downie the silver (14.400) and the young Anastasiya Alistratava the bronze (14.233).
Nina was pretty disappointed and angry after her bars but this made her attack the beam. She performed agressively and rock solid. Her routine included a free walkover connected to a ring leap, a triple and a double wolf turn. She scored 13.766 and won the gold medal. The Russian Angelina Melnikova was second. Diana Varinska from Ukraine third.
Results Uneven Bars final:
1. Angelina Melnikova (RUS) 14.466
2. Becky Downie (GBR) 14.400
3. Anastasiya Alistratava (BLR) 14.233
4. Nina Derwael (BEL) 13.933
5. Naomi Visser (HOL) 13.466
6. Lorette Charpy (FRA) 12.866
Results Balance Beam final:
1. Nina Derwael (BEL) 13.766
2. Angelina Melnikova (RUS) 13.600
3. Diana Varinska (UKR) 13.100
4. Denisa Golgota (ROU) 12.933
5. Georgia-Mae Fenton (GBR) 12.800
6. Lorette Charpy (FRA) 11.566
The next big competition for the Belgian gymnasts are the World Championships in Stuttgart in October. They hope to qualify as a team for the Olympic Games in 2020.